Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Stepper motor set up?  

Page 2 / 2

Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

At default 6400 step config settings I get  a scan which, while object curves can be identified, consists of multiple images. Checked reference of stepper motor in kit and found it was 1.8 dev (200 step) rather than the expected 0.9 /400. Reduced setting to 3200 and then got duplicate scan. At 1600 get a recognisable image but low resolution. My background is computers, not board level electronics, so am stuck at present. Stepper driver is TMC2209 with stealth thing. I am finding references that might suggest that something needs to be jumpered / bridged, but I think this is the time to reach out and ask for any assistance that can be offered.

Twin laser setup, calibrated to death, all solder joints double checked

10 Replies
Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

Thank you gentlemen! I have updated to 0.9.3 candidate and am getting much better results, though still at 1600. I am on a steep learning curve with the electronics and spent a lot of time yesterday reading up on stepper drivers and the picture is beginning to form....

Not quite sure I have the courage to get the soldering iron out just yet.

Would it be easier to buy a 2100??

5 Replies
mario
Admin
(@mario)

@cyberplod when you are not sure. It might be better to use a 2100 driver. On the other hand just bridging those pads is not that hard even if you don't have the most advanced soldering skills. I will check if i have some of the 2209 drivers here and give it a try. Afterwards i will report if it is working. I think i need to add all those information about the different driver configurations to the documentation.

Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

@Mario - thank you. On a personal level, I want to master this! I started with PCs in the 80s when there was no FM to R ;) and digital forensics in the 90s when all was waiting to be discovered. If you, or anyone else, has a photo of the soldered jumpers I will give it a try. If I can't make it work, I'll fit a 2100. If it is of any help, when I am up to speed I will try to collate some notes of the challenges that I have experienced as a beginner in this field

mario
Admin
(@mario)

@cyberplod i got my 2209 drivers today. Just did the soldering. But without success, the motor is not even moving ( i ordered a second one and also tried this one, just to be sure that the first one is not broken). I will give it another try tomorrow.

Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

@mario thanks - I finally got the soldering iron out - my soldering is very ugly, but it worked and scans at 3200 are coherent.

....Now to working out the meshing software ..... 🤔

Mouse

I notice that it is not only bunnies that have ear problems 😆 

mario
Admin
(@mario)

@cyberplod Thank you for sharing your progress. You should scan the bunny in a second pose. Afterwards try to align both scans by using MeshLab. Thats the typical way to go. I will close this topic cause it seems to be solved. I would appreaciate to see some more of your results. Maybe you can start a new topic.

Page 2 / 2
Share: