How to configure th...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] How to configure the correct steps for my stepper motor?

27 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter

My kit came with a 400 step motor, does this require any changes to the set up files?

So on the FabScanPi Hat  J7 2 and 3 should be closed and J8 2 and 3 should be closed for a 2208 to pull them to 5V.

mcinerney mcinerney Topic starter 09/01/2020 2:54 pm

@hamishi

Posted by: @hamishi

So on the FabScanPi Hat  J7 2 and 3 should be closed and J8 2 and 3 should be closed for a 2208 to pull them to 5V.

Very good information.  Did you have a chance to test this yet?

Yes, I just tested it.

Under the driver there are three of these jumper pads, label C3, C2, and C1.

First I verified which of them are connected to MS1 and MS2. It are C1 and C2. I soldered the midpad of C1 and C2 to the 5V pad in order to force the 1/16 mode of the driver according to the documentation. First I did a scan with the 3200 value to see if there was a difference in the scan result and indeed there was, the scan was only over 180 degrees. So then I changed to the 6400 value and the result was a 360 scan.

Summarizing, if one has a 400 step motor and a TMC2208 as stepperdriver the MS1 and MS2 pins have to be connected to 5V by means of bridging the pads C1 and C2 to 5V to force the 1/16 step mode in combination with a value of 6400 in the default.config.json file.

So it is not a software bug but a hardwire bug. I think this should be mentioned in the instructions as apparently my kit came with a 400 step motor and a TMC2208 dirver instead of the 2100 that functions according specs with the pads on the Fabscanpi HAT left open.

For me this problem is solved.

Thanks to all of you, I think this was a good exercise. 

I also did some modification to the camera mounting as it was not aligned with the table and I put a 3 mm thread rod between the sides of the case in order to ensure better closure of the lid. This because the right side of the case was bent causing a gap between the lid and the side.

mario mario 09/01/2020 7:04 pm

@hamishi

Thank you for your work! I will add this to the documentation as soon as i can. I think i will find some time at the weekeend. 

Topic starter
Posted by: @hamishi

Thanks to all of you, I think this was a good exercise. 

I also did some modification to the camera mounting as it was not aligned with the table and I put a 3 mm thread rod between the sides of the case in order to ensure better closure of the lid. This because the right side of the case was bent causing a gap between the lid and the side.

That is good news! I will test the driver tonight and I did find out I have a TMC2208.  Can you send some photos of your enclosure modification I have the same type of problem.

Thanks very much for your help.

CIMG0707
Page 2 / 2
Share: