Clear all

Calibration sheet query

9 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Cyberplod
Topic starter
(@cyberplod)

Initial calibration reported OK. Results of first scans "weird" - just swirls of dots, but very early days yet....

Going back to basics:

Calibration sheet used is that from Github - 8 x 6. To confirm - is this using hex notation, starting at "0" ? Whilst this is very familiar to me from my daily work, in terms of visible printed material I would normally expect this grid to be referred to as "9 x 7" (assuming I have the right file!!). Not a criticism, but a point for potential confusion.

Secondly, printed at normal resolution, squares are 11 x 11 mm, whilst config setting is 10 - again, is this hex or dec 10?

I THINK I know the answer, but "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

Further question: is candidate release 0.9.3 available for testing? Changelog suggests that issues I posted about yesterday may have been fixed.

Steve

8 Replies
moop
 moop
(@moop)

@cyberplod For the calibration sheet, the rows and columns are the intersections (I had the same problem as I counted squares and got 9x7 which doesn't work).Decimal in the config file. measure your squares and use that dimension. The height dimension is used to determine where the turntable is.

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

Maybe, I also use the calibration sheet and the measurements weren't quite right for me either. I calibrated it down until I had the exact dimensions. Take a look at the documentation. This is how it works for me.

Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

@danilo0702 Thanks Danilo, I have been reading the documentation, but until I am certain of the numbering model in use, then the documentation remains ambiguous. Compared with trying to get my head around DOS, without documentation, in the 80s, this is a breeze :)

mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @cyberplod

documentation remains ambiguous. Compared with trying to get my head around DOS, without documentation, in the 80s, this is a breeze

i know, but that's the only way to do this config stuff yet. I am planing to add a config option to the new user user interface. Maybe i can build a workaround for the upcoming version.

Cyberplod
Topic starter
(@cyberplod)

Thanks Mario, no criticism is intended, I know what it is like to have a voluntary activity take over your life!  I may not have stated my original question clearly:

The 8 x 6 calibration sheet shows 9 columns and seven rows, when described as you would, say, a spreadsheet or a crossword puzzle. The default config shows square size as 10mm.

If these are expressed in byte notation (i.e. first column / row is shown as 0 and the default config value would equate to decimal 11), then the calibration parameters are correct. If they are expressed in "normal" decimal notation, then the path is slightly different and I can proceed accordingly and adjust the config value.

What the calibration sheet is called does not really matter, so long as I am certain I am using the right one!

It's a bit like the T shirts that say "There is 1 types of people, those who use binary and those who don't" :)

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

@cyberplod, You can see the sheet on the pictures, that is the current one, which is stored in the config of the fab scan software. The documentation is a bit out of date here, which is understandable. Maintaining something like this takes time. And since Mario is currently traveling alone, it will stay that way for the time being. I wanted to deal with the revision, but haven't found the time so far (47 years old, family, house). But I think the cool days will come again every year.
https://fabscanpi-server.readthedocs.io/en/latest/software_configuration.html
6x8

Cyberplod
Topic starter
(@cyberplod)

Thanks Danilo, I much appreciate the hard work that has gone into this and continues to be done. I don't know how many times I have read the documentation and how I missed that it was the connection points, not the number of squares to which 8x6 refers. I have posted this so that if someone else ever had the same query the answer is in the thread.I would like to think that if I was not under heavy medication after a shoulder replacement, I would not have missed it. (I would really like to be 47 again though.......)

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member
Share: