Please help. I’m ru...

Notifications
Clear all

Please help. I’m running out of hair to rip out.

15 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
GothamFX
Topic starter
(@gothamfx)

So, let me preface by saying I’m a total newb. I just started playing with Pi’s a few months ago, as well as 3d sculpting and 3d printing. I want to make little figures out of clay, scan them, clean them up in 3d space, and print them. This is the goal. The Pi scanner seemed perfect as it touched on areas I had been working on, so, I ordered a kit. 

I bought the Pi kit from Wetterott. The first time I soldered the connector on the wrong side, so, deep breath, got another hat (duh). Super careful to soldier everything in the right place. Power source had to be switched out (even with a converter it didn’t seem to work), but the Pi is powering up through the hat, so that seems to be ok (also never soldiered before...learning all kinds of new things here). 

Here are the problems I seem to be having:

1) I can’t get the Pi to connect to wireless. Yes, I know, I edited the wpa supplicant file, it still won’t connect (it is a hotspot from my phone, internet is spotty here). Do I even need an internet connection? FAQ says no, and I’m connected directly to a monitor. How do I connect and operate the fabscan if im directly connected? I can’t find that information anywhere. 

2) i decided to check the log. This is what I got:

INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer : FabScanPi-Server 0.9.2
DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.interfaces : Scanner type is : laserscanner
DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Port in Config found
DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Latest available firmware version is: v.20200624
INFO - fabscan.lib.util.FSUtil : b’avrdude-original: Using autoreset DTR on GPIO Pin 7’
ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Communication error on port /dev/ttyAMA0 try other flashing baudrate than 115200. Maybe corrupted bootloader. 
ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Fatal FabScanPi HAT or compatible connection error....’NoneType’ object has no attribute
’isOpen’
INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer: FabScan Server Exit. Bye!

Well, at least it was polite enough to say bye.

The first thing I should ask is how do I change the baudrate? 

I read on the forums, and there’s a way to re-flash the bootloader. That looks absolutely terrifying, I’m not sure I can comfortably pull that off. and quite frankly, if it’s not due to anything that I did, I don’t see why I should have to do that. That was the point of buying a kit in the first place, put it together plug it in and off we go, right?

I appreciate you all putting up with my lack of knowledge. I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, best, stay safe. 

14 Replies
Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

the way I understand it, you want to control the Pi directly from a monitor. This doesn't work because the Fabscan is only controlled from an external PC via the browser (currently). The Fabscan does not have a user interface like the raspianOS. Can you log in to the Pi via ssh? Under Windows use the program Putty. Is the Pi visible in the network with its own IP? You then set WLAN in the raspiconfig.

leonnoel
(@leonnoel)
Trusted Member

You can control the Pi with a monitor and keyboard attached to the Pi, recommended until you get everything working.  After you have established a connection through your wifi router and have an IP address for the Pi and your computer you can control the Pi via ssh (Putty for windows) to command the Pi directly (this can be a local network without internet connection.  It is my understanding that the scan functions work as controlled by the host computer's browser without an internet connection but you need an internet connection for FabscanPi software updates and any Pi updates so the internet connection is required when updating.  You essentially use the browser in place of a GUI for controlling the FabscanPi function and to control the Pi you use either the keyboard and monitor or via the ssh function and main computer keyboard with the operation showing on the computer monitor.

With a keyboard and monitor give the Pi the command ifconfig to see if your wifi is showing an IP address.  If it is possible to use the cell phone as a hotspot connection to the internet you should be able to do the sudo apt-get updat && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade commands without the FabscanPi hat functioning. I assume you have already edited the defaultconfig.json file for the number of lasers and the calibration constants.  Baud rate can also be changed in that file but I think Mario has stated for the latest software it needs to be 115200.  I have had a peer to peer connection working between the Pi and a Windows 10 or Ubuntu computer.  I used a crossover cable (may not be necessary as modern software might do this automatically).  The windows 10 or Ubuntu machine must be configured for the operation. This should get you to the point where you have an Ip address for your computer on the wifi router and an IP address for the Pi.  It does not mean that your FabscanPi hat is working.

If you find you need to flash the bootloader to the hat, it is possible as I have done it.  How familiar are you with the basic Pi operation without using the windows type GUI.  It is essential that you know sudo reboot, and sudo shutdown now plus perhaps some other basic commands. To shut down the Pi I don't recommend pulling the plug as there is a file corruption problem same as doing the same with your windows machine.  I am of the opinion that a kit is different than a plug and play machine. regard it as a learning opportunity. 

GothamFX
Topic starter
(@gothamfx)

First off, thanks for replying. I realize I may come off a little stressed. It's been a few days trying to figure this all out myself and hitting a wall again and again. Please excuse my frustration.

@Danilo0702 I kind of figured that, but I wasn't exactly sure. I do know there's no GUI installed, and none of the documentation even mentions such an interface, though it was mentioned briefly in part, so I was curious as to whether it was possible.

@leonnoel Thank you so much for mapping it out for me. Please let me preface- of course I knew going in there was going to be a lot of DYI and a lot of learning. I did get to this point anyway, it's all built. As I said before I never soldiered before this, and it seems to all be physically working anyway, outside the software (I honestly don't know about the turntable or lasers, I haven't gotten them to work yet). It's just the hat needing to be reflashed, as stated, terrifies me, and just seems to me something that was supposed to have been preloaded. I don't want to go through buying yet another one, if I blow it. I'm not exactly around the corner, and the shipping is pricey. 

Anyway, I do know a few of the more basic Pi commands, and a general understanding of the architecture. This is actually my third Pi, I have a 4 that I try to learn on (and, well, Retro Pi), and a Zero I use as an OctoPi for my 3d printer. So...I'm not completely first day out of the box lost, but your suggestions have definitely given me a clearer path to go down.

Let me implement the suggestions you have both given me. I'll likely be back. In any case, many thanks for the moments and the knowledge.

leonnoel
(@leonnoel)
Trusted Member

Ok, I'll give you my thoughts based upon what I think I know and what I've learned by reading forum discussions.  Since I've had an amateur radio license for 65 years and have built a few things, I know all about placing thing incorrectly.  So let's see what we can do. Please forgive the bad typing and proofreading.

Statement of problems.

Getting computer browser to show the Fabscan Pi control screen.

Getting internet access to be able to update.

Making sure the hat firmware is installed-the most important item.

Things to do.

To get the computer browser to see the Pi, normal way is go through a router. it may be wired (lan cables plugged into the router from the Pi and computer) ,wifi or peer to peer.  Our most familiar way is via wifi router.  The equipment is connected to the internet through a modem connected via fiber optic line, cable or satellite access equipment. I do not know how to connect to the internet with peer to peer operation. An internet connection is not required for the computer browser to access Pi but is required to update and upgrade the Pi.  

I assume your cell phone in hot spot operation the hotspot name is broadcast and your home computer and the Pi are connected to it and the internet.  If so, the IP should show when you type the command ifconfig (return) into the Pi keyboard (Pi still connected to monitor and keyboard).

When browsing the Pi IP addresss the screen will show you that the hat is not connected and what you can do to check (what youcan expect based upon the log file shown) or the normal FabscanPi screen.

If indeed you aren't lucky, the boot loader will need to be loaded or you can use solder wicking braid and de-solder /re-solder the connector on your first one and hope it works. I have 3 of the hats, two have worked perfectly and for 1 I had to load the boot loader. After I had loaded the boot loader,  Watterrott sent me a replacement stating they had a quality control issue-they are very reliable as far as I'm concerned. I will have more to say if you need to install the boot loader in the Hat.

Be sure you have heat sinks on the Pi3 B.  For normal operation, after the device is working you will need to provide fan cooling as the Pi slows down above 50 deg,. C.  The fan I am using is 70 mm centrifugal which I selected cause it did not cost much more than a 50mm and not much more power required. I am greatly hearing impaired so I can't evaluate noise.  Operation on both a unit with a Pi4 B and a unit with a Pi3 B+ have max. temperatures of around 38 deg. C( shown in the log files). I have 2 units-my excuse in place of a long story is - the old man is crazy.

You may be interested in the following Thingiverse items latest web page didn't show Thingiverse numbers:

FabscanPi Fan Raspberry dated April 7, 2020 Looks good, don't know what it cools too.

Fabscan Calibration Stand with Plate Dec. 19, 2018

Fabscan Pi Laser Tower April 30,2019

Sd card Extender shown in one of the Forum items- I've used one since mid 2019 as you get tired of constantly changing sd cards

leonnoel
(@leonnoel)
Trusted Member

Here is a screenshot of the browser connected to the Pi with a non-functioning hat.

Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

Leonnoel, you are an inspiration. I have been in this planet for the same number of years you have held your amateur radio license and so will henceforth cease using age as any excuse! I can vouch for the 3dp laser tower and calibration stand. I have a little 30mm fan pushing air through a duct directly onto the pi 3b and all overheating issues have gone away. 

GothamFX - I feel your pain! I had also (if I read you right...) been expecting a modular kit that would plug and play! I can only say that each thing you learn and each problem you overcome brings a feeling of achievement. These guys are working hard to create stuff and each step makes you feel part of something instead of just a consumer. I am still only at the stage at which I have a squiggley blob approximately the shape of the item I am scanning, but that is SO much closer than last week ?

GothamFX
Topic starter
(@gothamfx)

Hello Again. Back from doing my actual life, and into the Fabscan Pi again.

Once again, many thanks to all for your suggestions. I have to say, moving forward at least. I had to bring the unit home, so I could hard wire it into the router, I felt this may be more foolproof- and it was. I was able to connect to the pi, and presumably the hat as well. I could access the unit from the ssh of my Mac's terminal, and bring up default.config.json. So, that's definitely a step forward. That's about as far as I can go though. The browser informs me the server isnt running. OK. It tells me to check the (ps -ef | grep -i fabscanpi | grep -i python) process, to see if its running, and it seems to be- the return code matches what it should be ( Huzzah! So then we check the log and...bam. Wall.

2020-09-20 21:17:08,301 [7750:1995799248] INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer: FabScanPi-Server 0.9.2
2020-09-20 21:17:08,304 [7750:1995799248] DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.interfaces: Scanner Type is: laserscanner
2020-09-20 21:17:09,332 [7750:1995799248] DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Port in Config found
2020-09-20 21:17:09,335 [7750:1995799248] DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Latest available firmware version is: v.20200624
2020-09-20 21:17:11,602 [7750:1995799248] INFO - fabscan.lib.util.FSUtil: b'avrdude-original: Using autoreset DTR on GPIO Pin 7'
2020-09-20 21:17:11,677 [7750:1995799248] ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Communication error on port /dev/ttyAMA0 try other flashing baudrate than 115200. Maybe corrupted bootloader.
2020-09-20 21:17:11,678 [7750:1995799248] ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Fatal FabScanPi HAT or compatible connection error....'NoneType' object has no attribute 'isOpen'
2020-09-20 21:17:11,679 [7750:1995799248] INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer: FabScan Server Exit. Bye!

First thing I tried to do was adjust the value of the flashing baudrate in the config file. Though that value was set at 115200, which is what it's supposed to be, I believe. On advice from the FAQ page, 'no FabScan HAT or compatible device found options" page, just for the halibut I entered 57600 as a flashing baudrate, then as a serial baudrate (rebooting after each alteration) and...no change.

According to research further, " 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'isOpen' " refers to something in Python that "instead of an instance of whatever Class or Object you think you're working with, you've actually got 'None'...means that an assignment or function call up from above failed or returned an unexpected result" (-stackoverflow.com). Or, there is a variable that is equal to 'None' and I'm attempting to access an attribute of it called 'something'. (-same). Whether this is a value in default.config.json that I can change, I don't know.

So, that's where I lie in the FabScan saga. I can't help but think every time I get ever so much closer another wall springs up and halts me. If it is confirmed that I have to reflash the HAT, I'm going to contact Watterott and ask if they'll replace it. It couldn't hurt, anyway, maybe they'll have mercy on me.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

@Cyberplod You know, to an extent, sure, I was hoping it would be a 'set up and start scanning' kind of thing...though I did read up on it through the forums and such before buying the kit. I did of course realize that some tweaking would be expected, just not to what I've been through with it thus far. I did know going in there would likely have to be adjustments in code (which I'm learning as I go), I had to learn to solder, and probably adjustments in both based on a second laser. I can deal with all of that. It's just the hat needing to be reflashed almost isn't fair, and it's beyond anything I've done before...I don't want to go to that point if I don't have to (mainly because, where I live, they're expensive to replace, if it goes pear shaped).

I've had the unit for a while now, and have yet to see an image through the camera, make a laser work, make the turntable budge. I'll keep trying, of course. It's just frustrating. I of course respect the guys who created and developed this, it's way more than I could have done. Obviously it /does/ work, there's people who post here all the time and say it does, some even show the nice scans it can do. It's why I bought it (well, that and 5000+ bucks for a built one isn't on the menu, especially during the apocalypse). I just wish it worked, even a little. 

And yes, @leonnel is pretty amazing, and patient. Hats off to you, Sir. I really do appreciate the time and effort, and I couldn't have gotten as far as I have without your input.

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

you use the v 0.9.2 stable. When i use this version, i get the same info. The Server is not running.... Make a upgrade to the 0.9.3+202008272250(last testingversion) and the Fabscan is ok running:)

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

.ssh login to the Pi

.sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fabscanpi.list

.change the line to the sources.list that it looks exactly like this:

deb http://archive.fabscan.org/ testing main

.save "ctrl o -Enter ---- ctrl x Enter

.sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

leonnoel
(@leonnoel)
Trusted Member

I am not familiar with Apple product operation but here are my thoughts.

I understand that you are presently plugged into a router with Lan cables for both the raspberry pi and the Mac. Both should show IP addresses in your router login if you access it which you are doing through ssh.  Do you have an actual internet connection showing on the Mac.  You will not be able to do an update or dist-upgrade to the pi without an internet connection no matter if you are using 0.9.2 or o9.3 software. I can do the operation with either software version and suggest that you use the stable 0.9.2 software until your equipment is working.

I think that the boot loader needs to be flashed to the hat you have, or the soldered connection on the 1st hat is unsoldered and put on correctly which may or may not work.  I assume that you have carefully looked at the soldered connections on your present hat and that they look good.

In the meantime, just for a little encouragement:

To verify that the camera is working-plug the output of the pi into a hdmi capable monitor-a tv set for example- this is to be able to see the camera output as I don't believe it will show on the Mac when using ssh to command the pi.

Using ssh, the fabscanpi serve must be stopped using the command "sudo systemctl stop fascanpi-server" without quotes and return.

Then "raspistill -t 0" return, at that time a sideways view of the compartment will show and you be able to focus the camera . No green lines will show as that is part of the web server function.  Camera is turned sidewise to give the maximum number of pixels in the vertical direction.

To exit the picture, do a control C and the normal ssh view screen will show on the Mac.

If the hat is working (which I doubt)  you can try to turn on a laser-laser 0 for instance-by inputting the command- "sudo echo "M19" > /dev/ttyAMA0"  quotes around the M19 are needed.  This should turn on the ist laser if the hat is working.  to turn off make the M19 a M20 instead.

A "sudo reboot" or "sudo shutdown now"  is probably the simple way to get back to normal.

Good luck, I'm going to have another cup of coffee, will be checking later.

mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @gothamfx

According to research further, " 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'isOpen' " refers to something in Python that "instead of an instance of whatever Class or Object you think you're working with, you've actually got 'None'...

This is a well known bug in the current (0.9.2) "stable" release. Your best option is using the testing branch like @danielo0702 mentioned. Cause the next upcoming release (0.9.3) is in testing and seems to be stable. I will try to release it in the upcoming days. It will come with a new image. 

GothamFX
Topic starter
(@gothamfx)

Thanks! I’ll try it!

fingers crossed...

GothamFX
(@gothamfx)

Seriously guys, thanks to all so much for your help. I’ll be back with results. 

leonnoel
(@leonnoel)
Trusted Member

Thanks to Mario for clearing up an issue.  Both of my machines seem to work ok with both software versions.  In addition to making the change to fabscanpi.list, I think an internet connection must be established to do an actual update and upgrade.  When that is done, hopefully the firmware is loaded to the hat and everything can proceed from there.

Share: