Please help. I’m ru...

Notifications
Clear all

Please help. I’m running out of hair to rip out.  

Page 2 / 3

GothamFX
(@gothamfx)

So, let me preface by saying I’m a total newb. I just started playing with Pi’s a few months ago, as well as 3d sculpting and 3d printing. I want to make little figures out of clay, scan them, clean them up in 3d space, and print them. This is the goal. The Pi scanner seemed perfect as it touched on areas I had been working on, so, I ordered a kit. 

I bought the Pi kit from Wetterott. The first time I soldered the connector on the wrong side, so, deep breath, got another hat (duh). Super careful to soldier everything in the right place. Power source had to be switched out (even with a converter it didn’t seem to work), but the Pi is powering up through the hat, so that seems to be ok (also never soldiered before...learning all kinds of new things here). 

Here are the problems I seem to be having:

1) I can’t get the Pi to connect to wireless. Yes, I know, I edited the wpa supplicant file, it still won’t connect (it is a hotspot from my phone, internet is spotty here). Do I even need an internet connection? FAQ says no, and I’m connected directly to a monitor. How do I connect and operate the fabscan if im directly connected? I can’t find that information anywhere. 

2) i decided to check the log. This is what I got:

INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer : FabScanPi-Server 0.9.2
DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.interfaces : Scanner type is : laserscanner
DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Port in Config found
DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Latest available firmware version is: v.20200624
INFO - fabscan.lib.util.FSUtil : b’avrdude-original: Using autoreset DTR on GPIO Pin 7’
ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Communication error on port /dev/ttyAMA0 try other flashing baudrate than 115200. Maybe corrupted bootloader. 
ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial : Fatal FabScanPi HAT or compatible connection error....’NoneType’ object has no attribute
’isOpen’
INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer: FabScan Server Exit. Bye!

Well, at least it was polite enough to say bye.

The first thing I should ask is how do I change the baudrate? 

I read on the forums, and there’s a way to re-flash the bootloader. That looks absolutely terrifying, I’m not sure I can comfortably pull that off. and quite frankly, if it’s not due to anything that I did, I don’t see why I should have to do that. That was the point of buying a kit in the first place, put it together plug it in and off we go, right?

I appreciate you all putting up with my lack of knowledge. I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks, best, stay safe. 

11 Replies
leonnoel
(@leonnoel)
Eminent Member

Here is a screenshot of the browser connected to the Pi with a non-functioning hat.

Cyberplod
(@cyberplod)

Leonnoel, you are an inspiration. I have been in this planet for the same number of years you have held your amateur radio license and so will henceforth cease using age as any excuse! I can vouch for the 3dp laser tower and calibration stand. I have a little 30mm fan pushing air through a duct directly onto the pi 3b and all overheating issues have gone away. 

GothamFX - I feel your pain! I had also (if I read you right...) been expecting a modular kit that would plug and play! I can only say that each thing you learn and each problem you overcome brings a feeling of achievement. These guys are working hard to create stuff and each step makes you feel part of something instead of just a consumer. I am still only at the stage at which I have a squiggley blob approximately the shape of the item I am scanning, but that is SO much closer than last week 😊

GothamFX
(@gothamfx)

Hello Again. Back from doing my actual life, and into the Fabscan Pi again.

Once again, many thanks to all for your suggestions. I have to say, moving forward at least. I had to bring the unit home, so I could hard wire it into the router, I felt this may be more foolproof- and it was. I was able to connect to the pi, and presumably the hat as well. I could access the unit from the ssh of my Mac's terminal, and bring up default.config.json. So, that's definitely a step forward. That's about as far as I can go though. The browser informs me the server isnt running. OK. It tells me to check the (ps -ef | grep -i fabscanpi | grep -i python) process, to see if its running, and it seems to be- the return code matches what it should be ( Huzzah! So then we check the log and...bam. Wall.

2020-09-20 21:17:08,301 [7750:1995799248] INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer: FabScanPi-Server 0.9.2
2020-09-20 21:17:08,304 [7750:1995799248] DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.interfaces: Scanner Type is: laserscanner
2020-09-20 21:17:09,332 [7750:1995799248] DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Port in Config found
2020-09-20 21:17:09,335 [7750:1995799248] DEBUG - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Latest available firmware version is: v.20200624
2020-09-20 21:17:11,602 [7750:1995799248] INFO - fabscan.lib.util.FSUtil: b'avrdude-original: Using autoreset DTR on GPIO Pin 7'
2020-09-20 21:17:11,677 [7750:1995799248] ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Communication error on port /dev/ttyAMA0 try other flashing baudrate than 115200. Maybe corrupted bootloader.
2020-09-20 21:17:11,678 [7750:1995799248] ERROR - fabscan.scanner.laserscanner.driver.FSSerial: Fatal FabScanPi HAT or compatible connection error....'NoneType' object has no attribute 'isOpen'
2020-09-20 21:17:11,679 [7750:1995799248] INFO - fabscan.server.FSScanServer: FabScan Server Exit. Bye!

First thing I tried to do was adjust the value of the flashing baudrate in the config file. Though that value was set at 115200, which is what it's supposed to be, I believe. On advice from the FAQ page, 'no FabScan HAT or compatible device found options" page, just for the halibut I entered 57600 as a flashing baudrate, then as a serial baudrate (rebooting after each alteration) and...no change.

According to research further, " 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'isOpen' " refers to something in Python that "instead of an instance of whatever Class or Object you think you're working with, you've actually got 'None'...means that an assignment or function call up from above failed or returned an unexpected result" (-stackoverflow.com). Or, there is a variable that is equal to 'None' and I'm attempting to access an attribute of it called 'something'. (-same). Whether this is a value in default.config.json that I can change, I don't know.

So, that's where I lie in the FabScan saga. I can't help but think every time I get ever so much closer another wall springs up and halts me. If it is confirmed that I have to reflash the HAT, I'm going to contact Watterott and ask if they'll replace it. It couldn't hurt, anyway, maybe they'll have mercy on me.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

@Cyberplod You know, to an extent, sure, I was hoping it would be a 'set up and start scanning' kind of thing...though I did read up on it through the forums and such before buying the kit. I did of course realize that some tweaking would be expected, just not to what I've been through with it thus far. I did know going in there would likely have to be adjustments in code (which I'm learning as I go), I had to learn to solder, and probably adjustments in both based on a second laser. I can deal with all of that. It's just the hat needing to be reflashed almost isn't fair, and it's beyond anything I've done before...I don't want to go to that point if I don't have to (mainly because, where I live, they're expensive to replace, if it goes pear shaped).

I've had the unit for a while now, and have yet to see an image through the camera, make a laser work, make the turntable budge. I'll keep trying, of course. It's just frustrating. I of course respect the guys who created and developed this, it's way more than I could have done. Obviously it /does/ work, there's people who post here all the time and say it does, some even show the nice scans it can do. It's why I bought it (well, that and 5000+ bucks for a built one isn't on the menu, especially during the apocalypse). I just wish it worked, even a little. 

And yes, @leonnel is pretty amazing, and patient. Hats off to you, Sir. I really do appreciate the time and effort, and I couldn't have gotten as far as I have without your input.

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

you use the v 0.9.2 stable. When i use this version, i get the same info. The Server is not running.... Make a upgrade to the 0.9.3+202008272250(last testingversion) and the Fabscan is ok running:)

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

.ssh login to the Pi

.sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fabscanpi.list

.change the line to the sources.list that it looks exactly like this:

deb http://archive.fabscan.org/ testing main

.save "ctrl o -Enter ---- ctrl x Enter

.sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Page 2 / 3
Share: