Stepmotor is broken

8 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Danilo0702
Topic starter
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

I am a little bit sad. Today, after many attempts to calibrate, I left the lid open and saw that my stepper motor is not rotating. That's why it did not work. He does only half a turn. After that, he just wiggles back and forth. A newly purchased kit. And not done a scan yet. Now I'm looking for just such an engine. I can not find anything. Where can i by onlz this motor? Someone an idea

7 Replies
rene
 rene
Admin
(@rene)

did you adjust the stepper motor driver current?

If it is really broken, almost any NEMA17 stepper motor will do the job. To make your life easier, you should get a motor with 400 steps per revolution. If you can only get motors with 200 steps, you need to change the configuration...

But chances are high, that the motor is not the problem. Check the temperature of the stepper driver and adjust the reference voltage and you should be fine.

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)

Reputable Member

Where can i Change the config? I dont find everthing in the cd /etc/fabscanpi/ folder.

mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member

I don't think that your motor is broken. The motors are really robust. As Rene mentioned check the motor current settings. The reference voltage should be between 0.7 and 0.8 volts (with this the motor and the motor driver won't get hot). If the motor driver overheats steps are left out. 

Here you will find a description on how to set the motor current for the silent step stick motor drivers. https://reprap.org/wiki/TMC2100

When the motor wobbles it can also be caused by a wrong wiring. I just uploaded a guide sheet for the current wiring. Have a look at this and double check your wiring. https://fabscan.org/community/hardware/current-hat-wiring/  

I have seen a look of FabScanPi builds in the past where the motor driver connector or the screw terminal hat cold solder joints, this might also end up in a motor wobbling. Please double check also your solder joints.

Last but not least. The configuration for motors with different full step numbers is described in the F.A.Q section of the documentation. You can find a described issue "My scan looks doubles" at https://fabscanpi-server.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq/#hardware  There is a description on how to change the steps per revolution. The FabScanPi configuration is located at: 

/etc/fabscanpi/default.config.json

For more information check: https://fabscanpi-server.readthedocs.io/en/latest/software/#config-file-values

When all this suggestions won't work in general the stepper motor driver is even more likely broken than the motor itself. 

- Mario 

Danilo0702
(@danilo0702)

Reputable Member

For some days I have been trying to get the stepper motor to work. I try to adjust the potentiometer. Nothing, the engine does not move, it jerks only a bit back and forth. The config is programmed correctly (6400) I have already changed the cables from the engine, no change. He also makes strange noises from time to time. I attach a picture and a short video with.  Today I ordered an new engine.

Danilo0702
Topic starter
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

and her a bild fom the Connection and the adiust screw

Steppmotor Schaltung neu
mario
Admin
(@mario)

Honorable Member

Please prove the solder joints of the motor driver and of the pin headers on the FabScan Pi HAT again. I would recommend to resolder them. Some on the picture above look as there are cold solder joints.

Danilo0702
Topic starter
(@danilo0702)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the tip, Mario. I have everything completely re-soldered and now and now also runs the stepper motor. But now the calibration no longer works because I have turned the potentiometer and the starting position is no longer i am whiting. I'm assuming that the driver is tuned to the engine. Now I just have to turn 1 / 10mm from right to left and recalibrate. Maybe it's because

Share: