11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
riegera2412
Topic starter
(@riegera2412)

Dear all,

I just assembled the Fabscan Pi.

I am using v.0.10.00 of the Server. I used the image provided on fabscan.org in the download section: Latest Release: v.2021-08-22-19-30/Includes FabScanPi-Server: v.0.10.0.

When I try to do a calibration a red box pops up in the UI showing "main.calibration_mode_not_defined" and nothing happens. If I try again, there is no pop up, but the server seems to start the calibration. However, nothing is happening: No turning of the table, no lasers, no camera light, no camera preview etc. The only thing showing is the cancel button in the UI. When I hit it, nothing happens. All of the hardware is responsive when I turn them on or off manually via the UI.

Did I miss something when seting up the Fabscan pi with respect to the configuration. I just followed the steps from the website.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

André

10 Replies
mario
Admin
(@mario)

Honorable Member

@riegera2412 thank you for reporting this. It seems to be a bug. I am on vacation and will try to fix that when i am back at home.

riegera2412
Topic starter
(@riegera2412)

Hey guys,

me again. Just installed v.0.9.4 instead of the most recent one. This fixed the describe above error, so it seems the error is somehow related to the fabscanpi server version v.0.10.0. Hope this info helps somehow.

Regards,

André

riegera2412
(@riegera2412)

Hello again!

It is me again. While the issue with the calibration is solved using v.0.9.4, I cannot scan. When I start the scan the turntable makes one step then stops. I waited a couple of minutes, then had a look. Neither the lasers nor the turn table are on. With the camera I cant tell.

I am quite sure I did something wrong when assembling the scanner or the HAT. Anyone else ever had similar behaviour? 

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

André

mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member

It is important that all hardware components (Laser(s), LED, Camera and Turntable ) are working. Check each component by using the hardware controls of the ui. Be sure the calibration configuration values match your setup.

https://fabscanpi-server.readthedocs.io/en/latest/software_configuration.html#calibration-values

Next check the number of steps in your configuration file. You should set 3200 steps if you purchased your kit in 2021.

Restart the software, you can use the systemctl command or just reboot the Raspbeerry Pi. Then do another calibration.

Hopefully this helps. 

riegera2412
Topic starter
(@riegera2412)

Dear Mario,

thanks for the reply. I checked all of this already. Within the UI I can manually control everything. The ring light, each laser and the turntable respond directly and turn on or off.

I also checked the config files and they are set up correctly according to the information on either the website and the documentation. The step parameter is set to 3200.

Rebooting the raspi or restarting the fapscanpi-server using systemctl doesn't do anything to prevent the described behaviour.

Since I am eager to use the fabscan pi I tried some steps myself. However, I cannot get v.0.10.0 to start a calibration without having this info "main.calibration_mode_not_defined" po up. Since there is no calibration, I cannot start a scan. With v.0.9.4 I can perform the calibration without any problem. But when I subsequently start the scan, the turntable makes one step, the lasers are both turned off and nothing happens, depsite the fact that the UI is showing a scan in progress. No preview though.

My latest attempt yesterday at night (since I could not sleep) was to try v.0.9.3 was a complete success. I can now do a calibration and also a scan. However, two things caught my attention. Firstly, I could not get a preview in the UI. After reducing the preset preview resolution to something lower this works now as well. Secondly, I can do proper scans with lowest and highest resolution, but when I do the scan with the medium resolution the scanned point cloud is weird. It essentially shows the scanned object twice (for both clouds from each laser respectively) rotated around the height axis by about 90°. Couldn't find a reason for this. Also it is odd, that this only happens for the medium resolution.

Did you observe this behaviour already? Any hints on what might be the cause for the problems I have with v.0.10.0 and v.0.9.4?

Thanks for all the help you can provide.

Regards,

André.

mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @riegera2412

Any hints on what might be the cause for the problems I have with v.0.10.0 and v.0.9.4?

I think something in the UI of v.0.10.0 is missing. I did some changes related to the calibration process. I will try to add a new testing version in the upcoming days where i will fix the bug.

mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @riegera2412

I can do proper scans with lowest and highest resolution,

0.9.x comes with a memory leak which results in a crash of the software during high res scans.

riegera2412
(@riegera2412)

@mario 

I see. I acutally performed the scan in order, low res, high res, medium res. For the first two everthing went just fine and the results are great. However the third scan (medium res) didnt. So I understand, that the memory leak caused in the second high res scan causes the medium res scan to fail? If my reasoning is correct, after a reboot of the fabscan pi and directly doing a medium res scan, this shoul not happen?

riegera2412
Topic starter
(@riegera2412)

I see. Actually, I tried to find some Info on this calibration mode in the source code.

I am not a programming guy, but what I found, was a function that seems to have something to do with setting the mode. It seems there is a typo becaus its name is "calibration" or something similar instead of calibration. However, it seemed intentional when I lookd through the code. And since I am not a software guy especially with OOP, I didnt dare to do something myself.

Dont know if this is helpful. Just thought I comment it here. 

mario
Admin
(@mario)

Honorable Member

@riegera2412 thank you, i will have a closer look to it, when i am back at home with hands on my hardware.

Share: