[Solved] FabScan kit build help

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
powerlines2000
Topic starter
(@powerlines2000)

Hi all

I just got my FabScan kit from Watterott and have been building it following the "FabScan Pi Open source DIY 3D Scanner: Assembly" video, but it is from 2016 and things seem to have changed a bit, Is there a later video?.

I have some questions before I build further as I would like to make sure I get it right and this seems like the place to ask.

1. I saw someone mention that the wiring for the stepper motor has changed does anyone have the correct wiring instructions for the red/black/blue/green wiring?

2. If I use the supplied spacers when installing the Pi3 it lifts the Pi slightly above the holes on the front. Is this normal or should I not bother with the spacers?

3. When mounting the HAT onto the Pi, the power connector on the HAT presses hard against and blocks the Pi micro USB is this normal?

4. there is no safety switch supplied with the kit and I wondered what the best spec of the switch was.

Please let me know if we are not allowed to post photo links I couldn't find the forum rules, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Topic Tags
2 Replies
mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @powerlines2000

I just got my FabScan kit from Watterott and have been building it following the "FabScan Pi Open source DIY 3D Scanner: Assembly" video, but it is from 2016 and things seem to have changed a bit, Is there a later video?.

I have some questions before I build further as I would like to make sure I get it right and this seems like the place to ask.

Yes the video is old and there is no new video until now. But there is a video made by Heinz Schmitz on YouTube (in german)

Maybe this will help you.

1. I saw someone mention that the wiring for the stepper motor has changed does anyone have the correct wiring instructions for the red/black/blue/green wiring?

Finding the wire pairs is described in the official documentation:

https://fabscanpi-server.readthedocs.io/en/latest/hardware_electronics.html#connecting-the-stepper-motor-s

Keep in mind that you need to solder some bridges to the HAT if you are using the TMC2209 or TMC2208 motor drivers. You can find information here: 

https://fabscan.org/community/case/driver-setup/#post-1914

2. If I use the supplied spacers when installing the Pi3 it lifts the Pi slightly above the holes on the front. Is this normal or should I not bother with the spacers?

Can you share a picture?

3. When mounting the HAT onto the Pi, the power connector on the HAT presses hard against and blocks the Pi micro USB is this normal?

Yes that is normal.

Please let me know if we are not allowed to post photo links I couldn't find the forum rules, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is because of SPAM protection. You are allowed to post attachments after a couple of posts. I will try to give you the permission to post photos.

- Mario 

powerlines2000
(@powerlines2000)

@mario

Thanks for that will have a watch of the video and check out the wiring info.

@ mario - Can you share a picture?

This is a link to the image in Imgbb Hope this helps.

@mario - Yes that is normal.

Great thank you.

Cheers

Share: