Software Version 0....

Notifications
Clear all

Software Version 0.8.2 (2 lasers) scanning setup?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
mcinerney
Topic starter
(@mcinerney)
Trusted Member

I have 0.8.2 up and running with 2 red lasers.  When I scan I get the object, but is also has a purple cloud on top and bottom.  I am sure that I need to adjust my settings, I am just not sure which ones I need to change.  I have attached the scan image along with my configuration files.

Please advise (anybody) any suggestions you have on the settings or how to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scan Image   Purple

3 Replies
mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member

Can you post a picture of the object please. I would bet that the top of the object is transparent or reflective (maybe a shiny white surface)?

You can try to deactivate auto threshold in the settings dialog and use the slider to adjust the threshold. 

Some general 3d Scanning notes: 

• transparent surfaces will not work ( nearby all 3d scanning methods based on cameras will fails on this ) 
  • shiny or reflective surfaces (same as transparent)
  • highly detailed or complex surfaces can not be scanned with one iteration it is always better to do multiple scans and combine them by using meshlab or cloudcompare

You can prevent problems with shiny or transparent objects by using some chalk. 

By the way try to decrease (some mm) the "origin distance" in the config file. That will remove the table surface.

mcinerney
(@mcinerney)

Trusted Member

@mario

Interesting thought, there is nothing above the black object (where the purple cloud is located).  The object is a Black 110VAC electrical plug end, photo from Fabscanpi Scan Screen attached.

Scan Image 110VAC Plug End
mario
Admin
(@mario)
Honorable Member

Try to use the non-automatic threshold setting and increase the threshold by shifting the slider to the right side. Have a look on the laser line detection. 

By the way, black can also cause problems because the laser light will be absorbed. But in your case the black part of the object looks not so bad.

Share: